Plettenberg Bay Overview
Plettenberg Bay is the jewel of The Garden Route. It’s more than a village, less than a town. Plettenberg Bay is tranquil and charming, hospitable and rather special. Originally christened “Bahia Formosa” (beautiful bay) by early Portuguese explorers, Plettenberg Bay can now be accessed by first class national roads, by sea or by scheduled air flights.
“Plett”, as it is affectionately referred to by the locals, is characterized by sweeping, unspoiled, golden beaches, a dramatic rocky peninsula, intriguing lagoons and estuaries, towering indigenous forests and unpolluted rivers and sea. With its exceptional climate, and beautiful view sites over the Indian Ocean, Plettenberg Bay is perfect for tourists interested in exploring, watching or just relaxing the day away.
Plett is renowned for its hot yet pleasant summers and wet mild winters. It is characterized by almost year-round sunshine with hot summers (October-March), with temperatures rising to 27°C (80,6°F) and sometimes even touching the mid-thirties Celsius (mid-nineties Fahrenheit).
Winter is typical of the Cape Coastal area, fluctuating between mild, clear weather and cold, rainy days during the rainy season. One can expect to be changing clothes as the day progresses from the cool dawn through the warm day and into the cool night.
Rest assured though, that in general, the weather of Plett will greet you with a hospitable display of sunshine and temperance.
- From Cape Town, take the N2 east and travel for approximately 500km (6hrs).
- From Port Elizabeth, take the N2 west and travel for approximately 230km (2.5hrs).
- From Johannesburg, take the N1 and N9 south – travel time approximately 11 hrs. Distance approximately 1,150km.
- Fly from Cape Town to Plett with CemAir
- Fly from Johannesburg to Plett with CemAir
- Fly from Johannesburg to George with SAA, SA Airlink, Kulula or Mango
- Fly from Cape Town to George with SAA, SA Airlink, Kulula or Mango
- Fly from Johannesburg to Port Elizabeth with SAA, SA Airlink, Kulula or Mango
- Fat Biking
- Fish Eagle Transport & Tours
- Tsitsikamma Canopy Tours Central Beach Traders